Feng Shui Tips For Minneapolis Home Sellers
Feng shui is the “ancient Chinese art of placement,” according to HGTV. Developed more than 3,000 years ago, feng shui states that our environment affects our health, wealth and happiness so the practice is used in interior decorating to create harmony in those aspects of our life.
How Does Feng Shui Work?
Many adherents to this ancient Chinese thought system believe that our homes are a reflection of what is going on inside of us. Changing the placement of items in a room, they say, changes the flow of energy which, in turn, can affect a change in our lives. The “rules” of feng shui are somewhat complicated but even knowing some of the basics may help create a change in your life for the better.
Simple Feng Shui Enhancements For Your Home
- Put a fountain near your front door. The flowing energy of the water symbolizes money, and placing the fountain near the front door is said to help improve your cash flow.
- Use paired items in the southwest part of the home to bring harmony to your love life. A pair of candlesticks, photos or other accessories will work. If they’re pink, it’s even more powerful.
- Drag all those books out of storage and put them where you can see them. This is supposed to stimulate learning, for both adults and children.
- Position your bed in the spot that is furthest from the door but still allows you to see the door. This is known as the Commanding Position and permits you to be stronger, calmer, and in charge. Don’t allow your feet to point toward the door, however. That’s bad luck.
- Hang a metal wind chime in the entry area to the home to bring helpful people into your life.
- Adding three or nine new plants in a bedroom will enliven the energy of the room, adding hope and cheer.
- Does your career need a boost? Place your desk so that it faces the door of your work space (or the entry to your cube if that’s where you work). Or, position a mirror on the wall or on the desk so that you can see who is coming in the door. This, according to David Daniel Kennedy, author of Feng Shui for Dummies, “helps you encounter more opportunities, go further in your field and lose less often.”
Using Feng Shui In Staging
When a professional stager sets about rearranging furniture and accessories in a home for sale, his or her strategy is to appeal to potential homebuyer’s emotions. Sounds a bit feng shui-ish, doesn’t it? In fact, Terah Kathryn Collins, founder of The Western School of Feng Shui says "I think the whole popular notion of staging is all contained within the practice of feng shui."
After clearing the clutter and depersonalizing the home, try a few of these feng shui ideas to entice that just-right buyer for your home.
- Purchase two identical dark blue outdoor planters and two plants with round leaves (not pointed – they’re too aggressive). Place the planters on each side of the front door. Why dark blue? “From your home to your clothing and jewelry, blue colors bring beautiful water energy into your home, and more income into your life,” according to Kathryn Weber, feng shui practitioner. It also symbolizes truth and engenders a feeling of peace.
- Incorporate earth tones, such as tan, copper and brown in the master bedroom. Whether they appear in your art work or accessories, these natural colors evoke a peaceful vibe, which makes the room more emotionally appealing to potential buyers.
- Remove or cover master bedroom furniture with sharp edges. Like the pointy-leaved plants, square corners connote aggression and “they have too much pointed energy and can create a 'sharp' environment," Jayme Barrett, Los Angeles feng shui consultant tells HGTV’s Leah Hennen. If you can’t remove the offending furniture, soften the corners by covering it with fabric or directing a trailing plant over the corners.
Celebrities such as Madonna, Sting, Sir Richard Branson, Oprah Winfrey and Tommy Hilfiger incorporate elements of feng shui in their homes. Businesses and corporations across the country do as well.
Hey – if it’s working for Bank of America and Intel, maybe it will work for you, too.
Looking for the perfect home for sale in Minneapolis to Feng Shui? The Kris Lindahl Team will be happy to arrange showings. Get in touch today.